Explosion at Mosque in Syria’s Homs Kills at Least Six

At least six people have been killed and more than 20 were injured when an explosion ⁠struck a mosque in Syria’s Homs province.
The attack targeted the Imam Ali bin Abi Talib Mosque in the Wadi Al-Dahab neighbourhood of Homs during Friday prayers, the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported.Footage verified by Al-Jazeera showed people fleeing the mosque in panic, placing some victims on stretchers and carrying others, wrapped in cloaks, to ambulances.The blast appeared to have taken place in the corner of the mosque’s main prayer hall, leaving a small crater in the wall and scorching the surrounding area, with prayer carpets ripped and strewn with debris, and books and fragments scattered across the floor.Local officials told the Reuters news agency the blast may have been caused by ⁠a suicide bomber or explosives placed there.State media said security forces had imposed a cordon around the area and were investigating.Ayman Oghanna, Al-Jazeera’s correspondent in Aleppo said no group had claimed responsibility for the strike, but noted a recent surge in ISIL (ISIS) activity in Syria.Last week, the United States bombed ISIL (ISIS or Daesh) positions in Syria in retaliation for the killings of two US soldiers and a civilian interpreter. Damascus also joined a global anti-ISIL alliance in November, pledging to crush the remaining elements of the group.Friday’s attack underscores the country’s fragile security situation, as the new authorities in Damascus struggle to assert control.
16:28 - 5 دی 1404

2 بازنشر
3167 بازدید